Seth-Smith Family Tree
Burke's Landed Gentry 1952
SETH-SMITH formerly OF WARMINSTER
Lineage SETH SMITH, of Warminster, Wilts, m., and had issue,
SETH SMITH of Eaton Square, S.W.; b. 15 Dec. 1791, m. 7 March, 1815, Elizabeth (d. 14 Nov. 1852),
dau. of William Rose, of Paddington, and d. 18 June, 1860, having had issue,
- CHARLES EDWARD, of whom presently.
- William Seth of Tangley, Guildford, Surrey; b. 29 Jan. 1824, m. 1stly, 21 Sept. 1847,
Catherine Charlotte (d. 20 March, 1872), dau. of W. B. Cartwright of Stroud, Glos, and had issue,
- William Howard Seth, b. 23 Aug. 1852, m. 30 Jan. 1887, Beatrice Brabazon (d. 17 Nov. 1937),
3rd dau. of Col. Henry Brabazon Urmston, I.A., Dep. Commr. of the Punjab (see URMSTON of Glenmorven),
and d. 30 Aug. 1928, leaving issue,
- Beatrice Catherine Seth, b. 27 June, 1889.
- Florence Dorothea Seth, b. 18 Nov. 1890.
- Ursula Mary Seth, b. 4 April, 1893.
- Helen Seth.
- Olivia Seth.
- Newton Seth, of Ashley, Stockbridge Hants; b. 23 Feb. 1854, m. 20 April, 1882, Melicent Lydia
(d. 18 Dec. 1914), dau. of Edmund William Pyle Taunton of Rookley House, Upsomborne, nr. Winchester, Hants, and
d. 31 Aug. 1934, leaving issue,
- Douglas Newton Seth, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P, Lond. (1913) (Dell Croft, Rothesay Road, Bournemouth, Hants);
b. 14 Jan. 1888, educ. Uppingham, Emmanuel Coll. Camb. (B.A., M.B., B.Ch. 1924), and Univ. Coll. Hosp. London,
m. 26 Aug. 1914, · Hetty Irene, dau. of Henry Stother Gilman, and has issue,
- Hugh Douglas (Namutamba, Uganda, E. Africa); b. 15 Aug. 1915, m. 14 July, 1951,
· Irene Muriel, 2nd dau of Robert Baxendell Coleman, M.B., of 27, London Road, Bromley, Kent.
- Charlotte Rachel Seth, b. 21 Dec. 1884; d. unm. 22 March, 1933.
- Frank Seth (Rev.) (Langton Lodge, Somerville Road, Bournemouth); b. 15 Sept. 1855, m. 27 Jan. 1892,
Constance Mary (d. 24 Sept. 1935), dau. of Wilson and has had issue,
- Robert Frank; b. 3 Nov. 1892; d. 21 July, 1904.
- Howard Knox, of Isle Ristol, Lochbroom, Ross-shire (Blair, Achiltibue, by Garfe, Ross-shire);
b. 12 June, 1894, m. 17 Sept. 1947, · Ailsa Annie Mary, dau. of late
Claude Aug.us Kerr MacDonald, of 10, Ovington Gardens, S.W.3, and Wantabadgery West, Wagga Wagga, N.S. Wales.
- Constance Rose (63, Great Bockeridge, Westbury-on-Trym, Glos); b. 4 June, 1896.
- Lilian Gertrude, b. 30 Dec. 1897, m. 31 March, 1936, ·
John Louis Leslie (Arford House, Headley, Hants), son of Michael Jules Leslie, of Primrose Hill Road, Regent's Park,
and has issue, one dau.
- Wilfrid Seth, b. 6 Oct. 1861, d. an inf.
- Walter Seth, b. 3 April, 1863, m. 2 Sept. 1893, · Johanna,
dau. of McHutchison of New Zealand and has had issue,
- William Newton; b. 5 Sept. 1894; d. 1914.
- Ruby Helena.
- Basil Seth, resident in New Zealand; b. 19 March, 1872, educ., Brighton Coll. and Colonial Agricultural
Coll., m. · Dora Butler and has issue, one dau.
- Susan, b. 9, d. 23 Feb. 1849.
- Rose Kate, b. 6 Feb. 1850; d. unm. 26 Jan. 1896.
- Sarah Annette, b. 9 Feb. 1857, m. 3 July, 1894, Alexander McCaw of New Zealand, and d.
leaving issue, three sons.
- Helena Elizabeth, b. 12 Jan. 1859; d. unm. July, 1949.
- Beatrice Mary, b. 18 Aug. 1860; d. unm. 30 Dec. 1881.
- Ethel Margaret, b. 13 Sept. 1864; m. 7 Sept. 1887, Alfred Hitchens, and has issue, one son.
- Amy Lilian, b. 15 March, 1869; d. unm. March, 1946.
He m. 2ndly, 28 May, 1874, Catherine Sarah (d. Jan. 1920), dau. of Rev. Samuel Edwards of Viney Hill, Glos,
and d. 1 May, 1887 having by her had issue,
- David Seth,
F.Z.S, M.B.O.U, late Curator of Mammals and Birds, Zoological Society, the "Zoo Man" of the B.B.C., mem. of Council of Zoological
Society, 1906-1909, awarded Society's Silver Medal, 1908, hon. Fell. of New York Zoological Society
(7, Poyle Road, Guildford, Surrey); b. 9 March, 1875, educ. privately, m. 1stly, 11 June, 1900,
Mary (d. 25 Jan. 1945), dau. of James Benjamin Scott, of Caterham, Surrey, and has had issue,
He m.2ndly 11 Jan. 1946, · Heather, dau. of Harry George Julian Heydemann.
- David William, M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond. (1926), D.M.R. Lond. (1942), served in World War II 1942-46 as Major R.A.M.C
in N. Africa, Belgium, and Germany (86, Brook Street, W.1; 11 Stanford Court, Cornwall Gardens, S.W.7);
b. 17 April, 1902, educ. Haileybury and St. George's Hosp., m. 17 Nov. 1930,
· Rosamund Sylvia, yr. dau. of Arthur Maynard Raikes, of Broom, Crowborough, Sussex
(see RAIKES of Llwynegrin).
- John Neilson, b. 27 Feb. 1913, d. 10 Nov. 1917.
- Joan Lockhart, b. 20 April, 1904, m. 6 May, 1936, ·
Benjamin Burton Morgan (15, Ash Grove, Guildford, Surrey), son of Richard Edward Morgan, of Aberystwyth, and has issue,
one son and one dau.
- Ruth Mary, b. 27 Nov. 1907, m. 16 Jan. 1940, · Rev. Joseph Anthony Loyd
Hardcastle (St. Mary's Vicarage, 7, Elsworthy Road, N.W.3), son of Alfred Hardcastle of Hawkhurst, Kent
(see 1906 Edn., HARDCASTLE of New Lodge).
- Leslie Moffat Seth, M.C. (1917), A.M.I.C.E., served in World War I as Lieut. E. African Transport (despatches),
late Govt. Surveyor and Dist. Engineer, Uganda (Tangley, East Horsley, Surrey); b. 9 Feb. 1879, educ.
Uppingham and Pembroke Coll. Camb., m. 23 March, 1922, · Ursula Mary Seth, 3rd dau.
of late William Howard Seth Smith (see above), and has issue,
- Leslie James, actor "James Brabazon," b. 12 Jan. 1923, educ.
Uppingham, and Camb., m. 27 June, 1950, · Elizabeth Marka Webb, and has issue,
- Elizabeth Naomi, b. 4 April, 1951.
- Ursula Diana Rose, b. 6 Sept. 1926.
- Jessica Mary, b. 9 Dec. 1927.
- A son, b. and d. 27 Dec. 1885.
- Gordon Seth, of Weald Dene, Caterham, Surrey, served in R.A.S.C.; b. 13 Nov. 1886, educ. Uppingham,
and Pembroke Coll. Camb., m. 1 June, 1912, · Margaret Stedman Watson, and
d. June, 1948, having had issue,
- Kenneth Gordon,
served in R.A.F., b. July, 1914; m. 1939 · Joyce Tobin, and was
k. on a test flight 1942, leaving issue,
- Richard Gordon, b. 23 July, 1939
- Jack Howard, b. 10 Sept. 1920.
- Alan Brian, M.R.C.S., b. 6 Jan. 1928.
- Margaret, b. 7 April, 1913.
- Frances Olive, b. 4 Aug. 1876; d. unm. 4 May, 1951.
- Violet Rachel, b. 18 Aug. 1877; d. 7 June, 1884.
- Agnes Evelyn, b. 22 March, 1880; d. unm. 3 Jan. 1942.
- Jessie Mabel, b. 24 June, 1881.
- Elsie Kathleen, b. 22 May, 1883.
- Frederick, b. 14 Aug. 1825; d. 27 April, 1830.
- Sidney, b. 22 June, 1829; d. 25 March, 1830.
- Basil Woodd, b. 9 March, 1831; m. 1stly, 9 Oct. 1855, Emma Jane (d. 4 July, 1870),
dau. of George Butcher-Lea, of The Larches, Kidderminster (see BURKE's Peerage, LEA, Bt.), and had issue,
He m. 2ndly, 13 Feb. 1872, Helen Jane Prance (d. 14 April, 1891), and d. having by her had issue,
- Bernard Basil Woodd (Rev.), b. 17 June, 1870, educ. Trin. Coll. Camb. (B.A. 1892, M.A. 1896), d.
- Edith Emma, b. 23 Jan. 1858.
- Bertha Marian b. 10 Feb. 1859.
- Maud Ellen, b. 16 July, 1860; d. 14 Oct. 1867.
- Evelyn Rose b. 14 Oct. 1862; d. 19 Aug. 1874.
- Wilfrid Basil Woodd, b. 28 March, 1873.
- Leonard Woodd, b. 21 July, 1874.
- Norman Basil Woodd, b. 1 Jan. 1877.
- Kenneth Basil Woodd, b. 11 July, 1878.
- Mildred Helen, b. 24 Nov. 1875.
- John, b. and d. 1834.
- Elizabeth Rose, b. 23 Jan. 1816, m. 4 June, 1844, Thomas Willmer Pocock, and d. 23 Nov. 1885,
leaving issue, six sons and three daus. He d. 5 Dec. 1889.
- Mary Charlotte, b. 8 July, 1817, m. 22 Nov. 1843, Henry William Dobell, Controller of Customs, and
d., 6 Aug. 1866, leaving issue, one son and four daus. He d. 2 March, 1895.
- Martha Medlicott, b. 12 Nov. 1818, m. 19 May, 1842, Rev. Thomas Greenfield, and d. 29 Aug. 1884,
leaving issue, six sons and six daus. He d. 4 March, 1885.
- Sarah, b. 18 June, 1820 ; d. unm. 18 Nov. 1851.
- Anne, b. 8 May, 1827, d. 14 July, 1827.
The eldest son,
CHARLES EDWARD SMITH, of Silvermere, Cobham, Surrey; b. 9 Nov. 1822, m. 13 Feb. 1845, Grizeal (Grace)
(d. 20 Jan. 1894), dau. of Hugh Garden, of 200, Piccadilly, W., and d. 20 Dec. 1900, having had issue,
- Charles Edward Seth, C.B.; b. 26 Feb. 1847, m. 1 June, 1882, Florence Maude (d. 11 Jan. 1890),
dau. of John Stevenson, of Wester Rossland, Renfrewshire, and d.v.p. 29 Jan. 1894, leaving issue,
- Hugh Eric Seth, M.C., of Elm Park, Killylea, Co. Armagh, served in World War I with Royal Irish Rifles;
b. 23 Nov. 1887; d. unm. 19 Dec. 1946.
- Grace Mary Seth (Leyfield, Bell Hill, Petersfield, Hants); b. 6 June, 1883.
- Muriel Maude Seth (Leyfield, Bell Hill, Petersfield, Hants); b. 6 Jan. 1885.
- Hugh Garden Seth, b. 9 Sept. 1848, m. 1stly, 24 April, 1884 Florence McLeod (d. 3 Sept. 1887),
dau. of Larkins, of Auckland, New Zealand, and had issue,
He m. 2ndly, 13 Feb. 1897, · Emily Mary Purchas of Auckland, New Zealand.
- Charles Garden Seth, b. 22 March, 1885, d. 4 Jan. 1886.
- Martin Seth, of Colwood, Sussex, b. 21 Aug. 1850, m. 29 Oct. 1878, Annette Constance
(d. 28 Feb. 1949), dau. of Philip Woolley, of Gravenhurst, Bolney, Sussex, and d. 9 Dec. 1922, having had issue,
- Martin Philip Seth, traveller, game Warden, and natural history collector in Uganda and British E. Africa, served in
World War I as Capt. King's African Rifles ; b. 29 Feb. 1880, educ. Charterhouse,
d. at Nyeri, Kenya, 5 Oct. 1922.
- Alexander Garden Seth (Four Acres, Limpsfield, Sussex); b. 17 Nov. 1882, educ. Charterhouse,
and Trin. Coll. Camb. (B.A.).
- Donald Farquharson Seth, M.C., served in World War I with 2nd King's African Rifles; b. 1 Oct. 1884,
educ. Charterhouse and Oriel Coll. Oxford (B.A.), m. 1stly, Sept. 1920, Janet Elizabeth, dau. of
Carmichael Monro, of Cuckfield, Sussex. He m. 2ndly, 1932, · Kathleen McKenzie,
widow of Bailey, and dau. of Wilson, and by her has issue,
- Antony Martin Donald.
- Anne Garden Farquharson.
- Kenneth Arthur Seth, served in World War I as Major, Northumberland Fus. attached R.F.C., served in World War II
(Chesterwood Grange, Haydon Bridge, Northumberland); b. 19 Oct. 1897, educ. Charterhouse,
m. 1stly, Aug. 1920, Doris Roberta, only dau. of Lt.-Cnl. Robert Wilson McKergow, O.B.E., T.D., of Twineham Grange,
Sussex (see that family), and has issue,
He m. 2ndly, 1947, · , widow of Nicholson, and dau. of .
- Martin Dudley Mervyn, served in World War II as Capt. Irish Guards; b. 24 Nov. 1923.
- Diana Constance, m. 2 Sept. 1948, · F/O. Charles Stewart M'Donnell Vane-Tempest,
only son of Ernest Charles William Vane-Tempest, D.S.C., and has issue (see BURKE's Peerage. LONDONDERRY, M.).
- Marjorie Constance Seth, b. 8 Oct. 1890.
- Ernest Seth, of Caisson House, Combe Bay, Bath, Somerset; b. 18 May, 1852, m. 14 July, 1886, Dora Helen
(d. 1 Feb. 1949), dau. of Ludwig Verner Helms, of Denmark, and d. 8 May, 1940, leaving issue,
- Doris Una (Old Monastery Garden, Edington, Wilts), b. 25 Nov. 1890.
- Frederick Seth, of Upton Grey, Hants; b. 7 March, 1854, m. 3 Dec. 1878, Jane Wilkins
(d. 4 March, 1914), and d. 5 Oct. 1930, having had issue,
- Frederick Edmund Seth, b. 27 Dec. 1880, d. 20 Feb. 1881.
- Keith John Seth, 0.B.E. (1919), served in World War I 1914-19, Capt. R.F.A. 1915, Staff Capt. R.A. 1915, Personnel Offr.
Min. of Nat. Service 1918-19, Managing Dir. Seth-Smith Bros., Ltd. (11, Kingston House, Princes Gate, S.W.7;
Hill Cottage, Upton Grey, Basingstoke, Hants; Carlton Club); b. 24 Sept. 1882, educ. Malvern,
and Clare Coll. Camb., m. 20 Aug. 1913, · Dorothy, dau. of late Edward de Vin,
of Hoylake, Cheshire. and has issue,
- David Keith, Cmdr. R.N., served in World War II (Heath Cottage, Hook Heath, Woking); b. 11 Sept. 1914,
m. 4 Sept. 1939 · Pamela, dau. of Capt. V.A.P. Stokes, of Larksfield, Minster in Thanet,
Kent, and has issue,
- John David Vaughan, b. 7 Oct. 1946.
- Jennifer Anne, b. 12 Jan. 1941.
- Derek John (5, Paradise Walk, S.W.3), b. 11 Aug. 1920, m. 16 Sept. 1950,
· Jean Halcro, yr. dau. of Sir Alexander Galloway Erskine-Hill, 1st Bt.
(see BURKE'S Peerage), and has issue,
- Kay Christian, b. 17 June, 1951.
- Aileen Dorothy, b. 11 Oct. 1918, m. 3 Jan. 1945, ·
Major Henry Kennett Sweeting, Coldstream Guards, only son of H. C. Sweeting, of Cote Heath, Buxton, Derbyshire, and has issue,
- Hugh Garden Seth, D.S.O., p.s.c., Brig., served in World War I 1914-19, A.A. and Q.M.G., i/c Administration,
China, 1934-37 (Chaffeymoor House, Bourton, Dorset) b. 13 June, 1885, educ. Malvern, and R.M.C.,
m. 1912, · Cicely, dau. of Thomas Parnell Parnell, of Berkeley, Glos, and has had issue,
- John Garden, F/Lt. R.A.F, late Essex Yeo., served in World War II, k. on a test flight, 13 Oct. 1945.
- Martin Parnell, Lieut. R.N.
- A son, b. and d. 24 April, 1890.
- Grace Winning Seth, b. 19 Sept. 1879.
- Dorothea Ellen Seth, b. 29 Nov. 1883.
- Evelyn Mary Seth, b. 27 Oct. 1887.
- Archibald Seth, of Silvermere, Cobham, Surrey, Barrister-at-law, Lincoln's Inn ; b. 24 Nov. 1857,
m. 12 Dec. 1896, Ella Blanche, (d. 25 Dec. 1951), dau. of van der Heyde, of New Zealand, and left issue,
- Edward Gustav, served in World War I with 4th E. Surrey Regt., attached R.A.F,. (Lyndhurst, Bognor Regis, Sussex);
b. 7 Sept. 1898, educ. Charterhouse, m. · Joan Mary,
dau. of Alfred Lightbody, and has issue,
- Michael (Pendock Cottage, Cobham, Surrey ; Public Schools Club) ; b. 11 June, 1928,
- Mary, m. · Harold Mudford, and has issue.
- Ella Betty, m. · Trevor Hay, and has issue.
- Sidney Robert Seth, of Yew Trees, Charminster, Dorset; b. 19 Nov. 1861, educ. privately,
m. 1stly, 23 Feb. 1884, Louie Marie (d. 12 Jan. 1908), dau. of Charles Watson, of Dial House, Hove, Sussex,
and had issue,
He m. 2ndly, 20 Aug. 1902, Ethel Clara (d. April, 1927), dau. of Frederic Calrow, of Kensington, and
d. 16 April, 1913, having by her had issue,
- Myrtle Ruth Seth, b. 6 July, 1894, m. 21 Feb. 1916, ·
Major Walter Leslie Price (Old Meadows, Bagshot Road, Bisley, Surrey), son of late Col. Adolphus James Price,
C.M.G., of Ash Vale Lodge, Ash Vale, Surrey, and has issue, two sons.
- Patrick Sidney Ernest, F.C.A., served in World War II in R.A.P.C. 1939-41, partner in firm of Seth-Smith and Schofield,
Chartered Accountants (Riverside, St. Cross, Winchester; 34, Regents Park Road, N.3; Conservative Club);
b. 14 July, 1903, educ. Cheltenham, m. 30 Aug. 1930, ·
Violet Sherwood, dau. of Edward Henry Blakeney, M.A., of Orchard Lawn, Winchester, by his wife, Amy, yst. dau. of
Rev. Samuel Unwin, Rector of Cheddon Fitzpayne, Somerset, and has issue,
- Sidney Denys, b. 6 Jan. 1936.
- Rosemary Grace Cecile, b. 6 Oct. 1908, m. 1933 ·
Richard Sherratt, of Napier, N.Z.
- Grace Garden, b. 4 Dec. 1845, m. 17 May, 1871, Howard Martin, and had issue, six sons and four daus.
- Alice Elizabeth, b. 10 Dec. 1855, m. 21 April, 1881, Herbert John Wood, and had issue, three sons.
- Gertrude Sarah, b. 15 Dec. 1859, m. 7 Jan. 1886, John Henry McCall, and had issue, five daus.
- Margaret Mary, b. 11 April, 1865, m. 20 April, 1887, Ernest Wood, and had issue, one son.
- Ruth Ellen, b. 17 Aug. 1866, m. 12 Aug. 1902, Percival Edward Maclean, and had issue, one dau.
Last updated: October 2006
Return to Seth-Smith Family Tree Homepage