Seth-Smith Family Tree
Burke's Landed Gentry 1972 with additions
SETH-SMITH formerly OF WARMINSTER
ANTONY MARTIN DONALD, late Kenya
Regt., b. 5 Feb. 1937, educ. Charterhouse, and Oriel Coll., Oxford (B.A. 1960) m. 1stly, 1 March, 1960,
(m. diss by div 1970), Renate, elder dau. of J. Thiel, of Hattingen, Germany, and has issue,
He m. 2ndly, 26 June, 1971, Sarah Brand, dau. of David Edward Fielden, of Springhill, Sabukia, Kenya
(see Volume I, FIELDEN of Grimstone Park) and by her has issue,
- MARTIN DONALD JOACHIM,
b. 29 May, 1964, m. April, 1995, Julia Parish and by her has issue,
- Matthew Hugo Farquharson, b. 24 Feb. 1998.
- Annette Karen, b. 27 Feb. 1962, who has issue
- Anthony Charles, b. 24 Aug. 1988
- Tana Kathleen, b. 13 March, 1977.
Lineage SETH SMITH, of Warminster, Wilts, m., and had issue,
SETH SMITH of 33 Eaton Square, S.W.; b. 15 Dec. 1791, m. 7 March, 1815, Elizabeth (d. 14 Nov. 1852),
dau. of William Rose, of Paddington, and d. 18 June, 1860, having had issue,
A son, b. and d. 27 Dec. 1885.
Gordon Seth, of Weald Dene, Caterham, Surrey, R.A.S.C.; b. 13 Nov. 1886, educ. Uppingham,
and Pembroke Coll. Camb., m. 1 June, 1912, Margaret Stedman (d. 17 March, 1960), dau. of John Watson, of Caterham,
and d. 23 June, 1948, having had issue,
- CHARLES EDWARD, of whom presently.
- William Seth, of Tangley, Guildford, Surrey, b. 29 Jan. 1824, m. 1stly, 21 Sept. 1847,
Catherine Charlotte (d. 20 March, 1872), dau. of William Bentley Cartwright of Stroud, Glos, and had issue,
- William Howard Seth, b. 23 Aug. 1852, m. 30 Jan. 1887, Beatrice Brabazon (d. 17 Nov. 1937),
3rd dau. of Col. Henry Brabazon Urmston, I.A., Dep. Commr. of the Punjab (see 1952 Edn. URMSTON of Glenmorven),
and d. 30 Aug. 1928, leaving issue,
- Beatrice Catherine Seth, b. 27 June, 1889, m. 1926, T.H. Reeve, son of A. Reeve of Chingford, Essex,
and d.27 April, 1971. He d. 1950.
- Florence Dorothea Seth (6, Springfield Place, Lansdown, Bath, Somerset), b. 18 Nov. 1890, m. 1910, Col.
Arthur Holroyd Bridges, C.B., C.I.E., D.S.O., son of late Henry Wilson Bridges, of Lawford and Birch, Essex, and has issue,
two sons and two daus. He d. 7 May, 1953.
- Ursula Mary Seth, b. 4 April, 1893, m. 23 March, 1922, her cousin, Leslie Moffat Seth-Smith, M.C., and
d. 19 Aug. 1968, leaving issue (see below). He d. 6 Sept. 1955.
- Helen Seth (9333, Ramey Lane,
Great Falls, Virginia 22066, U.S.A.), b. 1 Nov. 1902.
- Olivia Urmston, m. 29 Sept. 1925, · Arthur Plumpton Faunce Hamilton, C.I.E., O.B.E., M.C. (Brushers, Reydon,
Southwold, Suffolk), son of Frances Robert Abingdon Hamilton, of Kent, and has issue, one son and one dau.
- Newton Seth, of Ashley, Stockbridge, Hants, b. 23 Feb. 1854, m. 20 April, 1882, Melicent Lydia
(d. 18 Dec. 1912), dau. of Edmund William Pyle Taunton, of Rookley House, Upsomborne, nr. Winchester, Hants, and
d. 31 Aug. 1934, leaving issue,
- Douglas Newton Seth, M.R.C.S., L.R.C.P, Lond. (1913), late Capt. R.A.M.C.,
served in World War I (Dell Croft, Rothesay Road, Bournemouth, Hants);
b. 14 Jan. 1888, educ. Uppingham, Emmanuel Coll. Camb. (B.A., M.B., B.Ch.
1924), and Univ. Coll. Hosp. Lond.,
m. 26 Aug. 1914, Hetty Irene (<em>d.</em> 19 Oct. 1963), dau. of Henry Stother Gilman,
of Lindsey, Ipswich, Suffolk, and has issue,
- Hugh Douglas (Namutamba Tea Estate, PO Box 7046, Kampala, Uganda, E. Africa); b. 15 Aug. 1915, m. 14 July, 1951,
· Irene Muriel, 2nd dau of Robert Baxendell Coleman, M.B., of 27, London Road, Bromley, Kent,
and has issue,
- Douglas Robert, b. 3 May, 1952.
- Peter Richard, b. 6 Feb. 1958.
- Gillian Margaret, b. 22 Nov. 1953.
- Jean Melicent, b. 11 May, 1917, m. 5 April, 1938, · Victor Archibald Lord
Hill (Beggars Roost, Morchard Bishop, Crediton, Devon), son of Walter Edwin Hill, of Woodford, Essex, and has issue,
- Christopher David (4, Beeches Road, Kidderminster, Worcs), b. 13 Jan. 1940, educ. Blundells,
and Sidney Sussex Coll., Camb. (B.A. 1962, Ph.D. 1966).
- John Bernard Raleigh, A.R.I.B.A. (8, Colleton Hill, Exeter, Devon), b. 8 May, 1942.
- Mary Irene, served in World War II in St. John's Ambulance Mobile V.A.D. (Dell Croft, 7, Rothesay Road,
Bournemouth, Hants), b. 14 Dec. 1918
- Primrose Ashley Gray, served in World War II in St. John's Ambulance Mobile V.A.D. and Land Army (Dell Croft, 7, Rothesay Road,
Bournemouth, Hants), b. 19 Jan. 1921.
- Charlotte Rachel Seth, b. 21 Dec. 1884; d. unm. 22 March, 1933.
- Frank Seth (Rev.), b. 15 Sept. 1855, m. 27 Jan. 1892,
Constance Mary (d. 24 Sept. 1935), dau. of Rev. Robert Wilson, of Hankow, and d. 30 April, 1956 having
- Robert Frank; b. 3 Nov. 1892; d. 21 July, 1904.
- Howard Knox, of Isle Ristol, Lochbroom, Ross-shire, served in World War I in
King's Regt., in France, invalided 1918 (Blair, Achiltibue, by Garfe, Ross-shire);
b. 12 June, 1894, educ. Merchiston Castle Sch., and Edin. Univ.,
m. 17 Sept. 1947, · Ailsa Annie Mary, dau. of late
Claude Augustus Kerr MacDonald, of 10, Ovington Gardens, S.W.3, and Wantabadgery West, Wagga Wagga, N.S. Wales,
- Constance Rose S..R.N., S.C.M., Sister Tutor Cert. (Elmswood, 99c, Redland Ropad, Bristol), b. 4 June, 1896,
educ.King's Coll. Hosp. Lond. and Lond. Univ. (Dip. Nurs.).
- Lilian Gertrude, b. 30 Dec. 1897, educ. Lond. Univ., m. 31 March, 1936, ·
John Louis Leslie (Arford House, Headley, Bordon, Hants), son of Michael Jules Leslie, of Primrose Hill Road,
Regent's Park, and d. 2 Oct. 1958 leaving issue, one dau.
- Wilfrid Seth, b. 6 Oct. 1861, d. an inf.
- Walter Seth, b. 3 April, 1863, m. 2 Sept. 1893, Johanna,
dau. of McHutchison of N.Z., and d. 8 Jan. 1953, leaving issue,
- William Newton; b. 5 Sept. 1894; d. 1914.
- Ruby Helena (Castle Road, Epsom, Auckland, N.Z.).
- Basil Seth, resident in N.Z., b. 19 March, 1872, educ., Brighton Coll. and Colonial Agric.
Coll., m. · Dora Bell (d. July, 1953), dau. of William Henry
Butler, of Broxbourne, Herts, and d. 28 Feb. 1965, leaving issue,
- Joyce Mary Sworden, b. 16 Feb. 1904, m. 23 Jan. 1934, ·
John Hayes Powell (36, Thorrington Road, Cashmere, Christchurch, N.Z.), son of John Hayes Powell, of Dublin, and
has issue, one son and two daus.
- Susan, b. 9, d. 23 Feb. 1849.
- Rose Kate, b. 6 Feb. 1850; d. unm. 26 Jan. 1896.
- Sarah Annette, b. 9 Feb. 1857, m. 3 July, 1894, Alexander McCaw,
son of Alexander McCaw, of Reed Street, Pamam, N.Z., and d. 12 Nov. 1926, leaving issue,
three sons. He d. 23 March, 1938.
- Helena Elizabeth, b. 12 Jan. 1859; d. unm. 9 July, 1949.
- Beatrice Mary, b. 18 Aug. 1860; d. unm. 30 Dec. 1881.
- Ethel Margaret, b. 13 Sept. 1864; m. 7 Sept. 1887, Alfred Hitchens and d. 2 Nov. 1956 leaving
issue, one son. He d. 5 Oct. 1942.
- Amy Lilian, b. 15 March, 1869; d. unm. March, 1946.
He m. 2ndly, 28 May, 1874, Catherine Sarah (d. Jan. 1920), dau. of Rev. Samuel Edwards of Viney Hill, Glos,
and d. 1 May, 1887 having by her had issue,
- David Seth,
F.Z.S, M.B.O.U, late Curator of Mammals and Birds, Zoological Soc., mem. Council of Zoological
Soc., 1906-1909, awarded Soc.'s Silver Medal, 1908, hon. Fell. of New York
Zoological Soc., broadcaster, b. 9 March, 1875, educ. privately, m. 1stly, 11 June, 1900,
Mary (d. 25 Jan. 1945), dau. of James Benjamin Scott, of Caterham, Surrey, and had issue,
He m. 2ndly 11 Jan. 1946, · Heather (20, Halfpenny Close, Chilworth,
nr. Guilford, Surrey), dau. of Harry George Julian Heydemann, and d. 30 Oct. 1963.
- David William, M.R.C.S. Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond. (1926), D.M.R. Lond. (1942),
served in World War II as Major R.A.M.C., hon. Consultant Radiologist, the Nat.
Temperance Hosp., and Wembley Hosp., Middx (ret. 1970) (Cleeve House, 5, Sandy Lodge Way, Northwood, Middx);
b. 17 April, 1902, educ. Haileybury and St. George's Hosp., m.1stly 17 Nov. 1930,
Rosamund Sylvia (d. 21 March, 1952), yr. dau. of Arthur Maynard Raikes, of Broom, Crowborough, Sussex
(see 1952 Edn. RAIKES of Llwynegrin).
He m. 2ndly, 29 Nov. 1952, · Jean McClymont,
eldest dau. of late Alvan Reid, of La Carolina, Cinco Saltos, F.C.N.G.R., Argentina, and by her has issue,
- John Neilson, b. 27 Feb. 1913, d. 10 Nov. 1917.
- Joan Lockhart, b. 20 April, 1904, m. 6 May, 1936, ·
Benjamin Burton Morgan (Flat 16, Forsyte Court, Galsworthy Road, Kingston-Upon-Thames, Surrey),
son of late Richard Edward Morgan, of Aberystwyth, and has issue,
- John Richard, S/Ldr. R.A.F.(35, Rookery Court, Marlow, Bucks), b. 5 April, 1938, educ. Christ's Hosp.,
and R.A.F. Coll. Cranwell, m. 6 March, 1965, · Sally Ann, dau. of Charles Arthur Murray
Kyrke-Smith, of Fareham, Hants, and has issue,
- Sarah Louise, b. 19 Dec. 1966.
- Rebecca Jane, b. 30 Oct. 1970.
- Diana Mary, b. 28 Sept. 1942, educ. Lond. Sch. of Economics (B.Sc. 1964), m. 4 April, 1966,
· S/Ldr. Clive Albert Rainbow, R.A.F., son of late Albert Rainbow, of Streatham, Surrey, and has issue,
- Richard John, b. 25 Aug. 1971.
- Josephine Ruth, b.13 June, 1969.
- Ruth Mary, b. 27 Nov. 1907, m. 16 Jan. 1940, · Rev. Joseph Anthony Loyd
Hardcastle (100, Wodeland Avenue, Guilford, Surrey), son of Alfred Hardcastle of New Lodge, Hawkhurst, Kent
(see 1906 Edn., HARDCASTLE of New Lodge).
- Leslie Moffat Seth, M.C. (1917), A.M.I.C.E., served in World War I as Lieut. E. African Transport (despatches),
late Govt. Surveyor and Dist. Engr., Uganda, b. 9 Feb. 1879, educ.
Uppingham and Pembroke Coll. Camb., m. 23 March, 1922, his cousin, Ursula Mary Seth (d. 19 Aug. 1968), 3rd dau.
of William Howard Seth Smith (see above), and d. 6 Sept, 1955, leaving issue,
- Leslie James, actor, playwright and television producer and dir. as "James Brabazon" (25, Hampstead Hill Gardens, N.W.3)
b. 12 Jan. 1923, educ.
Uppingham, Sidney Sussex Coll. Camb. and Lond. Univ. (B.A. 1944), m. 27 June, 1950,
· Elizabeth Marka, dau. of Rev. Eric Roland Webb, of Winster House, Winster, nr. Windemere,
Wetmoreland, and has issue,
- Nigel James, b. 26 Jan. 1953, educ. Latymer Upper Sch., Hammersmith and Southampton Univ.; m.
· Rosemary Anne Elizabeth Wynn, 1975, and has issue,
- Joanna Elizabeth, b. 14 July, 1983.
- Nicola Marka, b. 13 March, 1986.
- Elizabeth Naomi, b. 4 April, 1951, m. · Jonathan Shaw, and has issue,
- Emily Elizabeth, b. 28 Dec. 1984.
- Christopher Matthew, b. 3 July, 1987.
- Andrew Paul Robert, b. 7 May, 1990.
- Penelope Marka, b. 13 May, 1957.
He m. 2ndly, 22 June, 1974, · Margaret Lilian Lord (d. 16 Dec. 1999), by whom he has issue,
- Helena Margaret Brabazon, b. 13 July, 1976.
- Ursula Diana Rose, b. 6 Sept. 1926, m. 16 Feb. 1953, ·
Douglas Hamilton Smart, (Old Ley Court, Birdwood, Churcham, Glos), son of late Douglas James Smart, of Cheltenham, Glos,
and has issue,
- Douglas James, b. 20 Sept. 1954; d.
- Christopher Leslie, b. 13 Dec. 1955, m.
- Roderick Hamilton, b. 28 March, 1958, m.
- Malcolm Grantley, b. 16 Feb. 1961, m.
- Jessica Mary, clinical and community mental health worker, b. 9 Dec. 1927,
educ. Lond. School of Economics and Smith Coll. for Social Work, Northampton, Mass., U.S.A.
(M.S.W. 1961); m. 4 April, 1964 · James Edmund Dandridge Murdaugh Jr.
(3416 Custer Street, Cincinnati, Ohio 45208, U.S.A.), son of James Edmund Dandridge Murdaugh.
Frances Olive, b. 4 Aug. 1876; d. unm. 4 May, 1951.
Violet Rachel, b. 18 Aug. 1877; d. unm. 7 June, 1884.
Agnes Evelyn, b. 22 March, 1880, m. 1904, Felix Wickham (formerly Wickelhaus), son of F. Wickelhaus,
of Caterham, and d. 3 Jan. 1942, leaving issue.
Jessie Mabel, b. 24 June, 1881, d. unm. 18 Dec. 1963.
Elsie Kathleen, b. 22 May, 1883, m. 4 Feb. 1921,
· Arthur Murrell (12, Sackville Lane, East
Grinstead, Sussex, son of F.W. Murrell, of Caterham, and d. 13 March, 1969, leaving issue.
Frederick, b. 14 Aug. 1825; d. 27 April, 1830.
Sidney, b. 22 June, 1829; d. 25 March, 1830.
Basil Woodd, b. 9 March, 1831; m. 1stly, 9 Oct. 1855, Emma Jane (d. 4 July, 1870),
dau. of George Butcher-Lea, of The Larches, Kidderminster (see BURKE's Peerage, LEA, Bt.), and had issue,
- Kenneth Gordon,
served in R.A.F.V.R., Chief experimental test pilot, Hawker Aircraft b. 13 July, 1914,
m. 1939 · Joyce Tobin (d. 13 July 2005), and was
k. on a test flight 11 Aug. 1942, leaving issue,
- Richard Gordon, b. 23 July, 1939, m. 1964, ·
Jane (Vickie) McMillan, and has issue,
He m. 2ndly, 1968, · Sylvia Nina Tebbitt, having issue,
- Jonathan, b. 13 Aug. 1967.
- Anna Joy, b. 19 March, 1970. She has issue
- Elena Ria b. 28 Oct. 2006
- Robert Kenneth, B.A., M.Sc.b. 4 June, 1971, d. 6 May, 2009.
- Jack Howard, served in World War II in R.A.F. (Holly Lodge, Barston, nr. Gratham, Lincs) b. 10 Sept. 1920,
educ.Caterham Sch., m. 11 June, 1949, · Diana Radcliffe,
dau. of O. Smoothey, of Lawn Road, Guilford, Surrey, and has issue,
- Duncan Howard, b. 1 March, 1955.
- Lyn Diana, b. 1 Feb. 1962.
- Alan Brian, M.B., B.S., M.R.C.S. (Lond.) (1950), F.R.C.S. Eng. (1956),
late F/O R.A.F., served as Surg. Specialist R.A.F.Med. Branch 1952-56.
Surg. in gen. practice, Princess Elizabeth Hosp., Guernsey from 1960 ( Les
Meriennes, St. Martins, Guernsey, C.I.; Royal Overseas League, and Royal Society
of Medicine), b. 6 Jan. 1928, educ. Caterham Sch.,
m. 7 May, 1960, · Jennifer Moira,
dau. of T.A. O'Neill, of Dore, Sheffield, and has issue,
- James Robert Brian, b. 7 Dec. 1965.
- Ann Fiona, b. 30 March, 1961.
- Elaine Margaret, b. 21 Sept. 1962.
- Margaret (Montella, Les Meriennes, St Martins, Guernsey, C.I.), b. 7 April, 1913.
He m. 2ndly, 13 Feb. 1872, Helen Jane Prance (d. 14 April, 1891), and d. having by her had issue,
- Bernard Basil Woodd (Rev.), b. 17 June, 1870, educ. Trin. Coll. Camb. (B.A. 1892, M.A. 1896).
- Edith Emma, b. 23 Jan. 1858, d. unm..
- Bertha Marian b. 10 Feb. 1859, d. unm..
- Maud Ellen, b. 16 July, 1860; d. 14 Oct. 1867.
- Evelyn Rose b. 14 Oct. 1862; d. 19 Aug. 1874.
John, b. and d. 24 Nov. 1834.
Elizabeth Rose, b. 23 Jan. 1816, m. 4 June, 1844, Thomas Willmer Pocock, and d. 23 Nov. 1885,
leaving issue, six sons and three daus. He d. 5 Dec. 1889.
Mary Charlotte, b. 8 July, 1817, m. 22 Nov. 1843, Henry William Dobell, Compt. of Customs, and
d. 6 Aug. 1866, leaving issue, one son and four daus. He d. 2 March, 1895.
Martha Medlicott, b. 12 Nov. 1818, m. 19 May, 1842, Rev. Thomas Greenfield, and d. 29 Aug. 1884,
leaving issue, six sons and six daus. He d. 4 March, 1885.
Sarah, b. 18 June, 1820 ; d. unm. 18 Nov. 1851.
Anne, b. 8 May, d. 14 July, 1827.
- Wilfrid Basil Woodd, b. 28 March, 1873.
- Leonard Woodd, b. 21 July, 1874, d. unm. Feb. 1961.
- Norman Basil Woodd, b. 1 Jan. 1877.
- Kenneth Basil Woodd, b. 11 July, 1878.
- Mildred Helen (61, Hamilton Road, Alford, Lincs) b. 24 Nov. 1875, m. - Saunders.
The eldest son,
CHARLES EDWARD SMITH, of Silvermere, Cobham, Surrey; b. 9 Nov. 1822, m. 13 Feb. 1845, Grizeal (Grace)
(d. 20 Jan. 1894), dau. of Hugh Garden, of 200, Piccadilly, W., and d. 20 Dec. 1900, having had issue,
- Charles Edward Seth, C.B.; b. 26 Feb. 1847, m. 1 June, 1882, Florence Maude (d. 11 Jan. 1890),
dau. of John Stevenson, of Wester Rossland, Renfrewshire, and d.v.p. 29 Jan. 1894, leaving issue,
- Hugh Eric Seth, M.C., of Elm Park, Killylea, Co. Armagh, served in World War I with Royal Irish Rifles;
b. 23 Nov. 1887; d. unm. 19 Dec. 1946.
- Grace Mary Seth, b. 6 June, 1883, d. unm. 1961.
- Muriel Maude Seth, b. 6 Jan. 1885, d. unm. 18 July, 1861.
- Hugh Garden Seth, b. 9 Sept. 1848, m. 1stly, 24 April, 1884 Florence McLeod (d. 3 Sept. 1887),
dau. of Larkins, of Auckland, N.Z., and had issue,
He m. 2ndly, 13 Feb. 1897, · Emily Mary Purchas of Auckland, N.Z.
- Charles Garden Seth, b. 22 March, 1885, d. 4 Jan. 1886.
- Martin Seth, of Colwood, Sussex, b. 21 Aug. 1850, m. 29 Oct. 1878, Annette Constance (and here)
(d. 28 Feb. 1949), dau. of Philip Woolley, of Gravenhurst, Bolney, Sussex, and d. 9 Dec. 1922, having had issue,
- Martin Philip Seth, traveller, game warden, and natural history collector in Uganda and British E. Africa, served in
World War I as Capt. King's African Rifles ; b. 29 Feb. 1880, educ. Charterhouse,
d. at Nyeri, Kenya, 5 Oct. 1922.
- Alexander Garden Seth, of Four Acres, Lindfield, Sussex, b. 17 Nov. 1882, educ. Charterhouse,
and Trin. Coll. Camb. (B.A.), d. unm. 1952.
- Donald Farquharson Seth, M.C., served in World War I with 2nd King's African Rifles, b. 1 Oct. 1884,
educ. Charterhouse and Oriel Coll. Oxford (B.A.), m. 1stly, Sept. 1920 (m. diss by div), Janet Elizabeth, dau. of
Carmichael Monro, of Cuckfield, Sussex. He m. 2ndly, 1932, · Kathleen McKenzie
(Les Tremeries, Rue de Torval, Castel, Guernsey, C.I.)
widow of Bailey, and dau. of Wilson, and d.25 Jan. 1959, having by her had issue,
- ANTONY MARTIN DONALD, of whom we treat.
- Anne Garden Farquharson, m. 1stly,
8 July, 1953, (m. diss by div 1962), Jacob, Viscount Folkestone
(now 8th Earl of Raynor), and had issue (see BURKE'S Peerage).
She m. 2ndly, 1962, ·
Capt. John Holland Cox, R.N. (Rake Hill, Rake, nr. Liss, Hants),
and has further issue.
- Kenneth Arthur Seth, late Major Northumberland Fus., served in World War I
(attached R.F.C.), and in served in World War II (p.o.w.) (Crow Hall, Bardon Mill, Hexham, Northumberland),
b. 19 Oct. 1897, educ. Charterhouse,
m. 1stly, Aug. 1920, Doris Roberta, only dau. of Lt.-Col.
Robert Wilson McKergow, O.B.E., T.D., of Twineham Grange,
Sussex (see that family), and has had issue,
He m. 2ndly, 1947, ·
Dorothy Muriel, widow of R.W. Nicholson, of Newcastle-upon-Tyne,
and dau. of Gill of Peterborough.
- Martin Dudley Mervyn, served in World War II as Capt. Irish Guards,
b. 24 Nov. 1923, educ. Bradfield, d. unm. 10 June, 1954.
- Diana Constance, served in World War II with Red Cross in U.K. and Belgium,
b. 3 June, 1921, m.1stly, 2 Sept. 1948
(m. diss by div 1956), ·
Charles Stewart M'Donnell Vane-Tempest,
only son of Ernest Charles William Vane-Tempest, D.S.C.,
and has issue (see BURKE's Peerage. LONDONDERRY, M.).
She m. 2ndly, 23 Jan. 1961, ·
2nd Viscount Buckmaster (Furzefield House, Wincham, Henfield, Sussex;
Brooks's Club) (see BURKE'S Peerage).
- Marjorie Constance Seth (c/o National Westminster Bank Ltd.,
Victoria Street, S.W.1), b. 8 Oct. 1890.
- Ernest Seth, of Caisson House, Combe Bay, Bath, Somerset; b. 18 May, 1852, m. 14 July, 1886, Dora Helen
(d. 1 Feb. 1949), dau. of Ludwig Verner Helms, of Denmark, and d. 8 May, 1940, leaving issue,
- Doris Una b. 25 Nov. 1890; d. unm. 20 May, 1964.
- Frederick Seth, of Upton Grey, Hants; b. 7 March, 1854, m. 3 Dec. 1878, Jane Wilkins
(d. 4 March, 1914), and d. 5 Oct. 1930, having had issue,
- Frederick Edmund Seth, b. 27 Dec. 1880, d. 20 Feb. 1881.
- Keith John Seth, 0.B.E. (1919), served in World War I, Capt. R.F.A. 1915, Staff Capt. R.A. 1915, Personnel Offr.
Min. of Nat. Service 1918-19, Managing Dir. Seth-Smith Bros., Ltd., b. 24 Sept. 1882, educ. Malvern,
and Clare Coll. Camb., m. 20 Aug. 1913, · Dorothy (24, Troy Court, W.8), dau. of late Edward de Vin,
of Hoylake, Cheshire, and d. 30 Oct. 1959, leaving issue,
- David Keith, Cmdr. R.N. (ret. 1949), Man. Dir. Seth-Smith Bros. Ltd. (15, West Halkin Street, S.W.1;
St James's, Royal Thames Yacht, and Marylebone Cricket Clubs), b. 11 Sept. 1914, educ. R.N.C. Dartmouth,
m. 4 Sept. 1939 (m.diss by div 1969), Pamela, dau. of late Capt. Vaughan A.P. Stokes, of Larksfield, Minster in Thanet,
Kent, and has issue,
- John David Vaughan (c/o National Westminster Bank Ltd., Knightsbridge, S.W.1), b. 7 Oct. 1946,
educ.Wellington, Aix-en-Provence Univ., and Grenoble Univ., m. 8 June, 1968, ·
Lady Jane Annabelle Howard, elder dau. of 12th Earl of Carlisle, M.C. (see BURKE'S Peerage).
- Jennifer Anne, b. 12 Jan. 1941, m. 7 Sept. 1962, · Nigel Sharp
(Brick House, Great Bardfield, Essex), yr. son of Edward Salkeld Sharp, of Great Walls, Silverdale,
Carnforth, Lancs, and has issue,
- Lucinda Jane, b. 8 Feb. 1963.
- Virginia Catherine Elizabeth, b. 7 March, 1964.
- Caroline Henrietta, b. 4 April, 1965.
- Alexandra Pamela, b. 4 Nov. 1967.
- Victoria Emily, b. 22 Sept. 1970.
- Derek John, b. 11 Aug. 1920, m. 16 Sept. 1950,
· Jean Halcro (34, Moore Street, S.W.3), yr. dau. of Sir Alexander Galloway Erskine-Hill, 1st Bt.
(see BURKE'S Peerage), and d. 24 June, 1964, leaving issue,
- Frederick Alexander, b. 28 June, 1963.
- Kay Christian, b. 17 June, 1951.
- Rosemary Jean, b. 22 May, 1954.
- Mary Jane, b. 16 Nov. 1957
- Aileen Dorothy, b. 11 Oct. 1918, m. 3 Jan. 1945, ·
Major Henry Kennett Sweeting, Coldstream Guards (Ballyshamrock House, Port Soderick, I.o.M.),
only son of H. C. Sweeting, of Cote Heath, Buxton, Derbyshire, and has issue,
- Hugh Garden Seth, D.S.O., p.s.c., Brig., served in World War I, A.A. and Q.M.G., i/c Admin.,
China, 1934-37, b. 13 June, 1885, educ. Malvern, and R.M.C. Sandhurst,
m. 1912, · Cicely Mary (d. 10 Dec. 1970),
dau. of Thomas Parnell Parnell, of Berkeley, Glos, and d. 12 April, 1958, having had issue,
- John Garden, F/Lt. R.A.F, late Essex Yeo., served in World War II, b. 15 Jan. 1919, educ. Stowe, k. on a test flight, 13 Oct. 1945.
- Martin Parnell, Cmdr. R.N. (ret. 1966), served in World War II (The Triangle, Wildhern, Andover, Hants),
b. 6 July, 1924, educ. Winchester, m. 18 April, 1953, · Hon.
Gabrielle Mary Sclater-Booth, yst. dau. of 3rd Baron Basing, T.D., D.L. (see BURKE'S Peerage), and has issue,
- Nicholas John, b. 20 Aug. 1961.
- Imogen Gabrielle, b.18 Jan. 1963.
- A son, b. and d. 24 April, 1890.
- Grace Winning Seth, b. 19 Sept. 1879, d. unm..
- Dorothea Ellen Seth, b. 29 Nov. 1883, d. unm. 14 May, 1963.
- Evelyn Mary Seth, b. 27 Oct. 1887, m. 2 Feb. 1911, · Oswald Thomas
Norris, son of Arthur James Norris, of Court House, Banstead, Surrey, and d.
- Archibald Seth, of Silvermere, Cobham, Surrey, Barrister-at-law, Lincoln's Inn ; b. 24 Nov. 1857,
m. 12 Dec. 1896, Ella Blanche, (d. 25 Dec. 1951), dau. of van der Heyde, of N.Z., and d.
16 Oct. 1938, leaving issue,
- Edward Gustav, served in World War I with 4th E. Surrey Regt., attached R.A.F.,
b. 7 Sept. 1898, educ. Charterhouse, m. · Joan Mary
(The Willows, Rustington, Sussex), dau. of Alfred Lightbody, and d. 11 Feb. 1970, leaving issue,
- Michael, P.P.S. to Gov. of W. Australia 1951-33, broadcaster (commentator on racing), author of
Lord Paramount of the Turf, and other works, and wine merchant (Barnfield House, Horsham, Sussex; Public Schools
Club), b. 11 June, 1928, educ. Charterhouse, m. 1stly, 20 Aug. 1955,
(m. diss. by div. 1966), Elizabeth Lawrenson, dau. of (William) Moffatt Palmer, of Morden Grange, Dorking, Surrey,
and has issue,
He m. 2ndly, 7 Dec. 1967, · Mary Dora, dau. of R.E. Dennis, of Old Timbers, Send, Surrey.
- Alexandra Petre, b. 6 Dec. 1957.
- Philippa Grace, b. 12 July, 1960.
- Camilla Frances, b. 9 Nov. 1961.
- Mary Seth, b. 12 Dec. 1900, m. July 1928, · Major Harold Ernest
Mudford (Willetts, Loxwood, Sussex), and has issue,
- Jeremy John, mem. Lond. Stock Exchange, late R.A.F. (The Old House, Bedlow Ridge, High Wycombe, Bucks),
b. 9 June, 1929, educ. Felsted, m. 6 Aug. 1955, ·
Jean Margaret Heathcote, and has issue,
- Victoria Mary, b. 17 Nov. 1958.
- Charlotte Annabel, b. 6 July, 1961.
- Peter, Univ. Lectr. (Flat 12a, 27, Montagu Court, Montagu Square, W.1), b. 5 Oct. 1936,
educ. Ch. Ch. Oxford (M.A., B. Litt.), m. May, 1965, · Rita Roma, M.A., B.A.,
B.Ch., yr. dau. of John Bicknell Auden, of 43, Thurloe Square, S.W.7 (see Volume I, AUDEN,
formerly of Horninglow).
- Ella Betty (Silvermere, 45, Cliff Road, St. Helier Bay,
Auckland, N.Z.), m. Trevor Hay, and has issue. He d. 1965.
- Sidney Robert Seth, of Yew Trees, Charminster, Dorset; b. 19 Nov. 1861, educ. privately,
m. 1stly, 23 Feb. 1884, Louie Marie (d. 12 Jan. 1908), dau. of Charles Watson, of Dial House, Hove, Sussex,
and had issue,
He m. 2ndly, 20 Aug. 1902, Ethel Clara (d. April, 1927), dau. of Frederic Calrow, of Kensington, and
d. 16 April, 1913, having by her had issue,
- Myrtle Ruth Seth, b. 6 July, 1894, m. 21 Feb. 1916, ·
Major Walter Leslie Price, son of late Col. Adolphus James Price,
C.M.G., of Ash Vale Lodge, Ash Vale, Surrey, and has issue, two sons.
- Patrick Sidney Ernest, F.C.A., served in World War II in R.A.P.C. 1939-41, partner in firm of Seth-Smith and Schofield,
Chartered Accountants (34, Regents Park Road, N.W.1; Conservative Club);
b. 14 July, 1903, educ. Cheltenham, m. 30 Aug. 1930, ·
Violet Sherwood, dau. of Edward Henry Blakeney, M.A., of Orchard Lawn, Winchester, by his wife, Amy, yst. dau. of
Rev. Samuel Unwin, Rector of Cheddon Fitzpayne, Somerset, and has issue,
- Sidney Denys (34, Regents Park Road, N.W.1), b. 6 Jan. 1936.
- Rosemary Grace Cecile, b. 6 Oct. 1908, m. 1933 ·
Richard Sherratt, of Napier, N.Z.
- Grace Garden, b. 4 Dec. 1845, m. 17 May, 1871, Howard Martin, and had issue, six sons and four daus.
- Alice Elizabeth, b. 10 Dec. 1855, m. 21 April, 1881, Herbert John Wood, and had issue, three sons.
- Gertrude Sarah, b. 15 Dec. 1859, m. 7 Jan. 1886, John Henry McCall, and had issue, five daus.
- Margaret Mary, b. 11 April, 1865, m. 20 April, 1887, Ernest Wood, and had issue, one son.
- Ruth Ellen, b. 17 Aug. 1866, m. 12 Aug. 1902, Percival Edward Maclean, and had issue, one dau.
Residence - Rotherhithe Farm, P.O.Box 61, Njoro, Kenya.
Last updated: October 2006
Return to Seth-Smith Family Tree Homepage